The Washington Death with Dignity Act has been in effect since March 5, 2009.
Similar to the Oregon model legislation, the Washington Death with Dignity has worked flawlessly and as intended (see Reports below).
In the 2020 session a bill was introduced seeking to study barriers to using the Washington Death with Dignity Act.
Resources and Additional Information
About the Statute and Its Implementation
- Full text of the Washington Death with Dignity Act
- Washington Death with Dignity Act Annual Reports
- Washington Department of Health (general information, forms, annual reports)
Resources for Patients
- How to access the Washington Death with Dignity Act
- “Request for Medication to End My Life in a Humane and Dignified Manner” [PDF of written request form]
- End of Life Washington (formerly Compassion & Choices of Washington) – nonprofit helping Washingtonians navigate the request process of the Washington Death with Dignity Act
- Hospital policies regarding the Act
Resources for Healthcare Providers
- “Attending Physician’s Compliance Form” [PDF]
- “Attending Physician’s After Death Reporting Form” [PDF]
- “Consulting Physician’s Compliance Form” [PDF]
- “Psychiatric/Psychological Consultant’s Compliance Form” [PDF]
- “Pharmacy Dispensing Record” [PDF]
- Death with Dignity Information for Hospitals (Washington State Hospital Association)
- Additional resources
Following our successful ballot initiative campaign, Washington voters approved of their state’s Death with Dignity Act in 2008. The law went into effect in 2009.