HB 1649, the Virginia Medical Aid in Dying Act , a death with dignity bill, has been heard in committee and, at the request of the bill sponsor, continued to the next session.
Find more actions here.
- Introduced on January 16, 2020
- Sponsor: Virginia State Delegate Kaye Kory (D-38)
- Full text of HB 1649, the Virginia Medical Aid in Dying Act
- Legislative history of HB 1649
- Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
- Heard on February 7, 2020
- Continued to the next session
Virginia State Delegate Kaye Kory (D-38) introduced HB 2713, the Virginia Death with Dignity Act, on January 14, 2019. The bill failed to meet a legislative committee deadline and did not advance this session.
This was the first time in history an aid in dying bill was considered in the Virginia state legislature.
The Virginia Joint Commission on Healthcare in September 2018 published a report on the issue, “Medical Aid in Dying: A Final Report” [pdf]. Following a period of public comment, the Commission on November 7, 2018 voted 10 to 6 to take no further action on the issue.