In the first two weeks of 2019, from January 1 to January 13:
- Hawaii’s Our Care, Our Choice Act went into effect.
- Aid in dying bills were introduced in Indiana and Utah.
- “Medical aid in dying law takes effect,” Honolulu Star Advertiser, 1/1/2019 (paywall)
- “Hawaii now allows terminally ill patients to take their own lives with prescription drugs,” Hawaii News Now, 1/1/2019
- “Hawaii now allows terminally ill patients access to aid-in-dying prescriptions,” Fox8 Cleveland, 1/2/2019
- “Hawaii law allowing medically assisted suicide takes effect,” Belleville News Democrat via Associated Press, 1/2/2019
- “Assisted suicide now legal in Hawaii for patients with terminal illness,” AJC, 1/2/2019
- “He Fought For Hawaii’s Aid In Dying Law. Now He Wants To Use it.” Honolulu Civil Beat, 1/2/2019
- “Man becomes Hawaii’s first patient to request lethal prescription drug,” Honolulu Star Advertiser, 1/3/2019 (paywall)
- “Controversial assisted-suicide law goes into effect in Hawaii,” KTNV Las Vegas, 1/4/2019
- “Letter: Lawmakers should pass End of Life Options Act,” Berkshire Eagle, 1/8/2019
- “’Death with Dignity’ bill about relieving suffering (Letters),” MassLive.com, 1/9/2019
- “Our Opinion: End of Life Options Act merits a vote in favor,” Berkshire Eagle, 1/11/2019
- “Letter: Medical aid in dying is a personal decision,” Telegram, 1/12/2019
- “Rep. Dailey-Provost introduces latest “death with dignity” legislation,” State of Reform, 1/11/2019
- “Utah lawmaker’s bill would allow terminally ill patients the right to end their own life,” KUTV12, 1/10/2019
Around the U.S.
- Minnesota: “Medical aid in dying is the ultimate religious freedom,” Star Tribune, 1/9/2019
- New Jersey: “N.J. should pass overdue Aid in Dying bill: Boyce,” Asbury Park Press, 1/8/2019
- Oklahoma: “Legislation calls for added reporting for possible physician-assisted suicides,” The Journal Record, 1/10/2019
- Oregon: “The King of Adventure Stares Down Death,” Narratively, 2/1/2019
Featured image by Shawn Hoke.