In the final weeks of 2017, from December 11 to December 31, 2017:
- We marked one year of implementation of the Colorado End of Life Options Act.
- Vermont Department of Health reported that 29 state residents used Act 39, the Death with Dignity, in its four years.
- The Honolulu Civil Beat released a poll showing 63 percent of state residents are in favor of aid-in-dying legislation.
- Our friend, a death with dignity advocate in Maine, Eva Thompson, died.
- “Characterizing Kaiser Permanente Southern California’s Experience With the California End of Life Option Act in the First Year of Implementation,” JAMA Internal Medicine, 12/26/2018
- “Why I’m Ending My Life – Bill Andrews,” Integrated MD Care, 12/14/2017
- “Voting for aid in dying was easy, but one Colorado couple struggled toward a graceful death,” Denver Post, 12/14/2017
- “Aid-in-dying medications can run from $500 to $4,000 in Colorado,” Denver Post, 12/14/2017
- “Colorado’s Aid-In-Dying Law Gave His Wife The Peace She Sought, Herb Myers Says,” Colorado Public Radio, 12/19/17
- “Perspective on Colorado’s aid-in-dying law after one year,” & “Colorado woman ends her life under physician-assisted suicide law,” 9News, 12/22/2017
- “Aid-in-dying process not as graceful as Colorado couple imagined,” Durango Herald, 12/29/2017
- “Ickes: End-of-Life Options Act brings up emotional issue, difficult personal choice,” Quad City Times, 12/14/2017
- “Guest view: The Christian case for right-to-die,” Quad City Times, 12/26/2017
- “Falmouth Doctor Pleased With Mass Medical Society Changing Stance on Medical Aid in Dying,” CapeCod.com, 12/11/2017
- “Betty Lynne Wolfson: Urges approval for End of Life Options Act,” Daily Hampshire Gazette, 12/22/2017
- “Editorial: Time for End of Life Options Act in Massachusetts,” Daily Hampshire Gazette, 12/29/2017
- “Twenty-Nine Vermonters Have Died Using End-of-Life Law, State Says,” Seven Days, 12/18/2017
- “Report: 29 Vermonters died using physician-assisted death law,” Burlington Free Press, 12/18/17
- Hawaii: “Civil Beat Poll: Support Is Still Strong For Medical Aid In Dying,” Honolulu Civil Beat, 12/13/2017
- New Hampshire: “A fuller tale of ‘end of life’ bills, by Larry Phillips,” Sentinel Source, 12/16/2017
- New York: “Making Healthy End-of-Life Choices,” East End Beacon, 12/11/2017
- “Assisted Dying: The Motivations, Benefits, and Pitfalls of Hastening Death,” Monitor on Psychology, December 2017
Featured image by josh hunter.