We cannot do our work alone—there is strength in numbers! You’re joining a growing movement that works to ensure terminally ill Americans have the freedom to choose from a full range of end-of-life options, including how they die.
After securing the passage of end-of-life option laws in Oregon, Washington, Vermont, and California, we continue to work tirelessly in the rest of the country. We have our work cut out for us: Forty-six states still lack a statute outlining the procedure (and safeguards) for obtaining medication to hasten an inevitable death. We’re leading the charge alongside our local partners in D.C., Maine, Maryland, New York, and elsewhere, and we won’t stop until every state has a Death with Dignity statute—with your help we’ll win.
Seventy percent of Americans support the end-of-life option allowing qualified terminally-ill people to end their lives through physician-prescribed medications. That’s right: seven in ten Americans want this option. We are glad to count you as one of them.
There is so much you can do to help.
You can best advocate for Death with Dignity if you are well informed about it. These are some of the ways to educate yourself:
- Browse this website to learn more about Death with Dignity as an end-of-life option and about the legislation we promote.
- Access the latest information about the status of legislation in your state here.
- Join our mailing list to be apprised of the latest developments in our movement.
Declare Your Support
We can win if your voice is heard in this campaign. Will you let your friends know you support Death with Dignity? Share this graphic on Facebook!
Contact Your State Legislators
Find your state legislator (Senator or Representative or both) and contact them to share your views about Death with Dignity. There are several ways to go about contacting your state legislator:
- Send them a letter or email outlining why you support Death with Dignity and why you want them to advocate for it as well.
- Call your legislator’s office to request a meeting, at their office or over coffee somewhere in your district, to discuss the issue.
- Find a town hall meeting or other event where your legislators are present and approach them in an appropriate way, e.g. ask a question or simply tell them your name, that you are from their district, and that you support Death with Dignity as an end-of-life option.
Share Your Story
Write a Letter to the Editor
Your local newspaper likely accepts and publishes reader letters. Send a letter to the editor of your favorite local (or even national) newspaper in support of Death with Dignity.
Join our mailing list to receive updates and action alerts straight into your inbox.
Join Us on Social Media
Support Our Work
Your contributions are key to ensuring well-crafted Death with Dignity laws for all Americans. There are many avenues for supporting our work financially.