Death with Dignity National Center
…is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that
- expands the freedom of all qualified terminally ill Americans to make their own end-of-life decisions, including how they die;
- promotes Death with Dignity laws around the United States based on the groundbreaking Oregon model;
- provides information, education, and support about Death with Dignity as an end-of-life option to patients, family members, legislators, advocates, healthcare and end-of-life care professionals, media, and the interested public.
The greatest human freedom is to live and die according to our own desires and beliefs.
Death with Dignity Political Fund
…is a 501(c)4 nonprofit organization that acts as the political arm of the National Center. The Fund
- drafts Death with Dignity laws based on the Oregon model;
- campaigns, lobbies, and advocates for Death with Dignity legislation in the 46 states that lack them;
- defends Death with Dignity Acts against challenges.
We authored, passed, and defended the Oregon law (1994/1997/2006); spearheaded the successful efforts to pass Death with Dignity statutes in Washington (2008), Vermont (2013), and California (2015); and led the Maine (2000), Hawaii (2002), and Massachusetts (2012) campaigns, which were all defeated by narrow margins.