In the two weeks from July 15 to July 28, 2019:
- A people’s veto petition by opponents of the Maine Death with Dignity Act qualified for signature gathering. Petitioners have until September 18 to gather the required 64,000+ signatures.
- Oregon Governor Kate Brown signed into law a modification of the Oregon Death with Dignity Act which eliminates the 15-day waiting period for patients who are within less than 15 days of death. Learn more →
- New Jersey prepared for the Aid in Dying for the Terminally Ill Act to go into effect on August 1.
- “Rutgers End-of-Life Experts Discuss New Jersey’s New Aid in Dying Law,” Rutgers Today, 7/23/2019
- “New Jersey’s Aid in Dying Law Goes Into Effect Aug. 1,” Patch, 7/24/2019
- “New Jersey ‘Right To Die’ Law For Terminally Ill Patients Goes Into Effect This Week,” CBS News, 7/29/2019
- “N.J. will let terminally ill patients decide when it’s time to die, beginning Thursday,” NJ.com, 7/28/2019
- “Oregon Removes Assisted Suicide Wait for Certain Patients,” New York Times via Associated Press, 7/24/2019
- “New law shortens ‘Death With Dignity’ waiting period for some patients,” Oregonlive.com / The Oregonian, 7/24/2019
- “‘End my fight’: Dying Sacramento man initiates death on his terms after bucket-list tour,” Sacramento Bee, 7/26/2019
- “New Jersey poker player takes life peacefully in California after cancer fight, raised awareness of end-of-life options in final days,” San Francisco Chronicle, 7/26/2019
Around the U.S.
- Maine: “Maine could vote on a physician-initiated death referendum in November or June,” Ballotpedia, 7/17/2019