In the two weeks from June 17 to June 30, 2019:
- The Christian Civic League of Maine launched a campaign to veto the recently passed Death with Dignity Act through the ballot.
- The Massachusetts legislature held a public hearing on the End of Life Options Act.
- The Oregon House passed and Senate sent to Governor Brown a bill that would eliminate the 15-day waiting period for patients with less than 15 days to live.
- “Life insurance and how it relates to physician-assisted death,” WABI-CBS, 6/17/2019
- “Christian Civic League to attempt people’s vetoes of abortion, death with dignity, vaccination laws,” Maine Beacon, 6/21/2019
- “Editorial: In praise of Maine’s responsible Death with Dignity Act,” Fosters.com, 6/21/2019
- “Letter to the editor: Praise for respectful Death With Dignity debate,” Portland Press Herald, 6/24/2019
- “Campaign groups attempt to veto controversial Maine laws,” WMTW-ABC, 6/28/2019
- “Letter: Encourage legislators to support of End of Life Options Act,” Telegram, 6/20/2019
- “Compassionate End Of Life Care – Editorial,” Falmouth Enterprise, 6/21/2019
- “Mass. Lawmakers Restart Debate Over Aid In Dying For The Terminally Ill,” WGBH, 6/25/2019
- “Widow of Framingham Rep. Chris Walsh urges passage of end-of-life bill,” Metro West Daily News, 6/25/2019
- “Public weighs in on right-to-die bills for terminally ill,” Telegram (and many other outlets) via Associated Press, 6/25/2019
- “Rep. Fernandes and Diane Rehm Testify in Support of End of Life Options,” Cape Cod Today, 6/26/2019
- “Lawmakers once again debate ethical questions around medical aid in dying,” Sentinel and Enterprise via State House News Service, 6/26/2019
- “As I See It: People with terminal illness deserve the right to choose,” Telegram, 6/27/2019
- “End of Life Options Act: We should be able to write our own endings (opinion),” Delaware Online, 6/19/2019
- “Commentary: Delaware’s terminally ill deserve consideration,” Delaware State News, 6/21/2019
- “End of Life Options Act will bring peace to suffering people (opinion),” Delaware Online, 6/25/2019
Around the U.S.
- “Thinking through Medical Aid-in-Dying with Anita Hannig,” Society for Cultural Anthropology, June 2019
- New Hampshire: “Sentinel Editorial: Choosing to die: Maine’s new law raises a topic the Granite State ought to be discussing,” Sentinel Source, 6/22/2019
- New Jersey: “Death with Dignity: The Basics of NJ’s Medical Aid in Dying Law,” New Jersey Law Journal, 6/21/2019
- New York: “NYS Legislature Leaves Medical Aid in Dying Legislation on the Table as Session Ends Without a Vote,” WAER, 6/24/2019
- Ohio: “Vest end-of-life decisions where it matters most – in the hands of the dying: Ann Rowland (Opinion),” Cleveland.com, 6/25/2019
- Oregon: “Oregon removes assisted suicide wait for gravely ill people,” Seattle Times (and many other outlets) via Associated Press, 6/18/2019
Featured image by Elena.