In the two weeks from April 1 to April 14, 2019:
- New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy signed the Aid in Dying for the Terminally Ill Act into law. As of August 1, when the law goes into effect, one in five Americans will have access to the assisted dying option.
- The Health and Human Services Committee of the Maine State Legislature held a public hearing on LD 1313, an aid-in-dying bill. All major newspapers in the state editorialized in favor of the bill.
- The Montana legislature once again rejected a bill that would have banned aid in dying in the state.
- New York Governor Cuomo said he would sign an assisted dying bill.
- The death with dignity bill in Connecticut was held in Committee (did not come up for a vote) and was effectively finished for the session.
- “What does ‘Aid in Dying’ mean for the state’s doctors and patients?,” NJTV News, 4/8/2019
- “22 years of medically assisted suicide: A brief history as NJ prepares for the new law,” North Jersey, 4/11/2019
- “Governor Murphy Signs Legislation to Permit Death with Dignity in New Jersey,” Office of New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy, 4/12/2019
- “New Jersey enacts law on assisted suicide for terminally ill,” Associated Press, 4/12/2019
- “Murphy signs aid-in-dying bill into law,” Politico, 4/12/2019
- “NJ Legalizes Assisted Suicide As Gov. Murphy Signs Bill Into Law,” Patch, 4/12/2019
- “NJ legalizes assisted suicide as Gov. Phil Murphy signs contentious bill into law,” NorthJersey.com, 4/12/2019
- “Gov. Murphy signs N.J. death with dignity bill. It goes into effect Aug. 1.,” Philadelphia Inquirer, 4/12/2019
- “Murphy just signed law allowing terminally ill New Jerseyans to end their lives,” NJ.com, 4/12/2019
- “New Jersey becomes 7th state to permit assisted suicide,” The Hill, 4/12/2019
- “New Jersey governor signs law allowing terminally ill patients to end their lives,” ABC News, 4/14/2019
- “New Jersey becomes eighth state to legalize medically assisted suicide,” USA Today, 4/14/2019
- “Maine to again consider “death with dignity” bill,” WMTV, 4/3/2019
- “Maine Lawmakers Revisit Contentious Proposal to Allow Terminally Ill Patients to End Their Lives,” Maine Public, 4/8/2019
- “Public hearing to be held on Maine death with dignity bill,” Fox23 Maine, 4/8/2019
- “‘Death with dignity’ bill to get hearing in Maine Legislature,” Portland Press Herald, 4/8/2019
- “Lawmakers pushing to finally pass ‘death with dignity’ bill,” Portland Press Herald, 4/8/2019
- “‘Death with dignity’ to take center stage this week,” WMTW-ABC, 4/8/2019
- “Maine to consider ‘death with dignity’ bill,” WCSH-NBC, 4/8/2019
- “Controversial ‘death with dignity’ bill heads to first hearing,” WGME-CBS, 4/8/2019
- “Public hearing held on controversial physician-assisted suicide bill,” WABI-CBS, 4/10/2019
- “‘Death with dignity’ bill faces opposition at public hearing,” WFPO-Fox, 4/10/2019
- “Dozens testify on both sides of Maine ‘death with dignity’ bill,” Kennebec Journal via Associated Press, 4/10/2019
- “Our View: Maine should pass aid-in-dying law,” Portland Press Herald, 4/7/2019
- “Our View: Maine should pass aid-in-dying law,” Kennebec Journal, 4/7/2019
- “Editorial: We support Maine’s Death with Dignity Act,” Foster’s / SeaCoastOnline.com, 4/10/2019
- “It’s time for death with dignity law in Maine,” Bangor Daily News, 4/11/2019
- “CT aid-in-dying law fails to gain enough support,” CT News Junkie, 4/1/2019
- “Connecticut lawmakers won’t advance bill allowing terminally ill patients to obtain a doctor’s help to end their lives,” Hartford Courant, 4/1/2019
- “Aid-in-dying bill dies in committee,” Republican American, 4/1/2019
- “Value liberty with end of life choices,” The Missoulian, 4/2/2019
- “Death with dignity,” Montana Standard, 4/4/2019
- “Senate rejects bill to criminalize physician aid-in-dying,” The State via Associated Press, 4/5/2019
- “Dolores Huerta joins NV legislators, supporters in rally supporting Death with Dignity Act,” News 4-NBC, 4/4/2019
- “Let’s stand up for dying Nevadans | Dolores Huerta,” Reno Gazette Journal, 4/11/2019
- “Gov. Andrew Cuomo backs letting terminally ill seek life-ending drugs,” Syracuse.com, 4/9/2019
- “Cuomo says he would support aid in dying legislation,” Albany Times Union, 4/10/2019
- “Cuomo pushes for assisted suicide bill after NJ passes similar law,” New York Post, 4/13/2019
- “California allows aid-in-dying drugs for terminally ill, but hospitals set barriers,” KFGO, 4/8/2019
- “Petaluma veteran ends life under California law,” Press Democrat, 4/9/2019
Around the U.S.
- Colorado: “An ALS patient’s dilemma: End his own life, or die slowly of the disease?” NBC News, 4/13/2019
- Massachusetts: “New Jersey approves “Right to Die” Legislation. Why not here in Mass?,” Monteforte Law, 4/2/2019
- Minnesota: “The state of assisted-suicide laws”, Minnesota Public Radio, 4/11/2019
Featured image by Communicore82.