- Who We Are
- Research Center
- Activists & Advocates
- Patients & Families
- Health Care Providers
- Support Us
This Week in the Movement
Posted by Melissa Barber on February 15, 2013
Watch Burzichelli Sponsors Death w/Dignity Act for Terminally Ill on PBS. See more from NJToday.
Throughout the week, we keep people up-to-date with information about the Death with Dignity movement and other topics related to end-of-life care through Facebook and Twitter. Below are highlights from this week.
Efforts regarding Death with Dignity:
- It was another busy week in Vermont. Over the course of three days, the Senate debated the proposed Death with Dignity bill. After many twists and turns, the bill was drastically amended and passed. It now heads to the House in the next steps in its journey.
- After hearing testimony on Montana's proposed Death with Dignity bill the Judicial Committee tabled the bill. This procedural move is a way to stop a bill from moving forward without voting for or against it.
- A poll in Quebec found 86% of the respondents support carefully crafted legislation emulating the Oregon and Washington Death with Dignity Acts.
- The Courier Post in New Jersey reported on the recent Death with Dignity bill hearings in the New Jersey Assembly committee, and published their editorial strongly supporting the bill a few days later.
Discussions about death, dying, and grieving:
- Is hospice becoming one component of healthcare usage at end of life, an "add-on" service to the current treatment-focused model?
- News rocked the hospice and palliative medicine community when the largest academic hospice in the US, San Diego Hospice, announced it'll be closing its doors.
- Claire Bidwell Smith of Slate suggested recharacterizing the bargaining stage of grieving as anxiety could help more people get the help they need.
- eFuneral posted tips broken down by age group for helping children grieve.
- A social media push is underway to ask Hallmark to consider offering hospice cards.
Life's too short:
- Have you seen the crowdsourced collection of videos of the meteor debris that flew across the sky in Russia?
- Happy Valentine's Day to all you Star Wars Legos fans.
- And of course, your weekly fix of adorable tiny creatures. Even bacon can be cute.
Defend dignity. Take action.
You are the key to ensuring well-crafted Death with Dignity laws for all Americans. With your financial and volunteer help, the Death with Dignity National Center, a 501(c)(3), non-partisan, non-profit organization, has been the leading advocate in the death with dignity movement. Member contributions helped us pass a new Death with Dignity law in Washington, defend the Oregon law, and provide education and outreach programs for the vitality of the death with dignity movement.